Completed Zulus from the lead pile. Know the green is non-historical, but these guys will be used primarily in a fantasy role anyway.
The shield effect I created with an old larger brush. I cut the bristles square with a scalpel to created a blunt end. Then I used first almost-black and dabbed it on, trying to not make the patterns regular or neat. Then I added a red-brown to the black and dabbed in the centre of the pattern. Shield stitching was first done on black, then white.
As usual I finished with wattle stain-and-varnish and then picked out some details afterwards. Of particular note is the white of the stitching. This came out particularly well with a final highlight white dash, I think.
These guys are what I am currently calling the Iklwa, from the cattle plains below the great desert.